Makes approximately 16 scones
1 lb (453 grams) Self Raising flour
4 oz (113 grams) salted butter
½ pint (.284 litres) full fat milk
2 oz (56 grams) caster sugar
1 egg (to create a brown colour and can be omitted if allergic.
Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C
- Rub butter into flour until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar to the breadcrumb mix and incorporate evenly.
- Make a well and add the milk. Work in the milk to make a slightly wet dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead the mixture until dough becomes completely incorporated. (The dough is quite sticky at this stage, try not to over work the dough.)
- Turn the dough to the smooth side up and with a rolling pin lightly roll to about on- inch (25 mm) thick.
- Using a 2-inch (50 mm) diameter cutter cut out as many scones as you can. Repeat the process with the remain dough mix.
- Brush the scones with a beaten egg (see allergies) and place onto a non-stick baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove scones and place on a wire rack to cool.
Contains: wheat, salt, milk products, egg (can omit)
Clotted cream – contains milk products
Jam – may contain pips and artificial additives
We hope this recipe works for you. Remember the Cornish style is jam first then cream !!!!